Below is an overview of how to shop for textbooks at the Swarthmore Campus & Community Store for fall 2020, including information about the new TAP program.
What you need to know about TAP:
The Swarthmore Campus & Community Store is excited to participate in Swarthmore College’s new program to help with the cost of required textbooks and course materials. This new program is called Textbook Affordability Program (TAP).
TAP provides all full-time registered students with a $700 credit that can be used to purchase required textbooks and course materials in the Swarthmore Campus & Community Store. If you have your books shipped from the Store to you off-campus, you can charge that shipping cost to TAP as well.
Not covered by TAP: course materials purchased from other sources, including third party vendors on the Store.Swarthmore.edu comparison shopping site, and course materials that are recommended or optional but not required. Faculty may require course materials not covered by TAP. TAP does not cover the cost of shipping books from the student back to the Swarthmore Campus & Community Store.
Use of TAP credit indicates acceptance of Swarthmore College rules covering the use of TAP. For additional information on TAP, see https://store.swarthmore.edu/Course Materials/TAP Information for Students.
When can I start using your TAP credit?
As of Monday, August 17, 2020, TAP funds are available on Store.Swarthmore.edu. First Years will need to wait to place their textbook order until after they are registered for classes on August 26, 2020.
Order as early as possible, in order to receive your books by the first day of class. If you are unsure about some classes, we recommend placing a book order for the classes for which you are certain, and placing an additional order later if necessary. You may place multiple orders for textbooks, and you can charge your Store-to-student shipping to your TAP fund each time.
How can I purchase my books and course materials?
For the fall 2020 semester, we ask that all students, whether remote or living on campus, pre-order your textbooks and course materials online at https://store.swarthmore.edu/home.
Log in with your Swarthmore College Log-In, which requires Duo Authentication. When asked for your account number, use your student ID number.
The store will be open, but the textbook department will be closed to students. If you have questions, please call the Store at 610-328-7756. If you need to come to the Store for an in-person discussion, please bring your printed custom book list (see next section).
How can I obtain a custom list of course materials for my registered fall 2020 courses?
- Go to http://store.swarthmore.edu/home
- Select Course Materials at top of the page.
- Select Course Materials List.
- Log in with your Swarthmore College Login. (Note: Duo Authentication will be required.)
- The Store website’s "Select Term and Departments" page will open.
- Click the first button entitled Search Course Materials for your enrolled classes via My Swarthmore.
- You will be linked to the mySwarthmore "[Specific semester] Courses for [student]" page.
- Click the blue button Click here to view course materials.
- The Campus Store page "Course Materials" comes up ready for comparison and textbook selection.
- From here, you can print the book list for reference or place your online order.
Formats, Book Notes, Course Notes
When you place your order, you will need to choose your preferred format for each textbook. Your cost will vary according to the format chosen.
Print: New or Used
Note: if we do not have stock of your preference we will automatically substitute the stock we have available.
Rental: New or Used
Note: not all books are available to rent. If we do not have stock of your preference we will automatically substitute with the stock available.
Digital: Expiring on a specific date, or Lifetime purchase. As far as possible, the Swarthmore Campus & Community Store will offer required books for sale in digital format.
Book notes will let you know that a specific title is available digitally for no charge through Swarthmore College Libraries’ Tripod system. Library materials designated as "Limited" are limited in the number of users permitted at one time, may have restrictions against downloading or printing, and may have restricted loan periods. Library Materials designated "Unlimited" may be used by multiple users at once, and in some cases may allow downloading and/or printing. Contact [email protected] with questions specifically about library materials.
Course notes are specific to the course and provide additional information from the faculty member. If a digital tablet is required, the course note may include substitutes (i.e. other tablets with particular attributes) that are acceptable for that particular course.
Placing an online textbook / course materials order
- When you have made your preferred selection (new, used, rental, or digital), add the item to your cart.
- Once you have added all the items you wish to purchase, click Continue Checkout.
- A list of everything in your cart will appear. Make sure the quantity and titles are correct.
- Click Continue Checkout.
- Two pop-up messages about textbooks preferences and substitutions will appear.
- The first pop-up message will ask how to handle changes to your order -- select your preference. Select Continue.
- The second pop up message will ask your preferred condition of the book -- select your preference.
- You will be directed back to your shopping cart.
- Select Payment Options.
- A checkout screen will appear for you to select Pickup Order or Ship Order. Students living on campus should select ‘Pickup Order.’
- If having your order shipped, edit shipping information if needed. Select Fed-Ex shipping.
- Select Continue.
- A Payment Information screen will appear. Select ‘TAP Funds.’
- Click Submit Payment.
- If you exceed your available TAP fund amount or have items in your order that are not covered by TAP funds, you will be prompted to enter another form of payment to cover the additional cost.
You will receive acknowledgement email that your order has been successfully submitted to the bookstore. You will receive an email confirmation when the order is shipped or is ready to be picked up in the Store. Please allow 24 hours to 48 hours for processing.
Returns, Rentals, and Downloading eBooks
Returns- The Store’s usual return policies apply. For fall 2020 you may make returns or exchanges, with your cash register receipt, until September 14, 2020. Students on campus may return their books to the Store in person. Remote students, please note that the cost of shipping a book return back to the Store is not covered by TAP funds.
Rental Returns- When deciding whether to rent a book, consider the possible cost of return shipping. You are responsible for returning your rented book by December 18, 2020. For fall 2020, all students leave campus by November 22, and final exams end on December 15. You may take your rented book off campus, but are responsible for shipping the rented book back to the Store by December 18th. Return shipping of rented books is not covered by TAP funds.
If you don’t return a Swarthmore Campus & Community Store rental by the deadline, you will only be charged the purchase price minus the rental price you already paid, with no late fees or penalties. That can be charged to your TAP funds. You then own the book.
Online eBook Purchases- You can access your eBook immediately after purchase by logging into your bookstore account. On the ‘Welcome’ page, select Activate and Access eBooks. An image of your eBook will be on your bookshelf. Hover over the eBook cover image and follow the prompts to begin downloading.
Best wishes for a wonderful semester.
Your friends at the Swarthmore Campus & Community Store